20 dollar hot dog..


Being a dad has it’s moments. Sometimes, out of frustration and anger, kids can drive you to the insane asylum. But then there’s those moments. There are times when I could be angry at my son, and then look in his eyes, and see a child. And the anger slips away.

There could be those moments when we’re playing cash register and I’ll ask him how much to buy a hotdog from him, and he’ll reply “Ummm, $20 dollars Daddy.” $20 dollars! For a hot dog! Man, only from the mouth of a kid. How innocent. And when I hear that, I don’t want to lose moments like that. I just want to give him a big hug. Sometimes if I am real upset at something he did, I’ll think, this is the same kid who said $20 dollars for a hot dog. And it melts my heart..

Maybe that’s what Jesus was on to when he said, “you must be like a little child to enter the Kingdom..”

I’m a sinful, confused person. Yet Jesus died for me and calls me Child. How could it be? I screw up every day?

you must be like a little child to enter the Kingdom..”

Hmmm.

My son is not perfect. He makes a lot of mistakes. Yet I love him unconditionally. Maybe when Jesus sees me, He sees someone who is messed up, but He loves unconditionally. Maybe He sees someone who gets so confused sometimes, someone that will actually charge $20 dollars for a hot dog. And yet He says, “I love you”.

He loves you too, ya know. Despite what you've heard. We need to remind each other.

No comments: