The Future Embrace (a review)


I was excited to get my copy of "The Future Embrace" by Billy Corgan. Being that I love the Smashing Pumpkins, and have always been intrigued by Billy Corgan, I expected to hear a great CD. And I wasn't let down.

Please note, this is not a Smashing Pumpkins album, so don't go into it expecting to hear the Pumpkins' sound. This is Billy Corgan's first solo album, after Smashing Pumpkins, and his other band Zwan. One thing you can expect to hear is Billy's trademark voice.

Where do I start? This album is a musical masterpiece. A great work of art, musically "painted" by one of the most creative people in the industry. From the beginning to end, you are taken in by songs that have elements of electronic, techno, alternative, and new wave sounds throughout the album. Having said that, the songs are not bombarded with so much background noise, that you can't take in the song. But there's enough background sounds to keep you hooked.

Throughout the album, there's thought provoking lyrics that deal with brokenness, life, love, and some that even make you think of God. I was reminded of God's presence in my life while listening to the track "A100", especially when Billy sang "You are love, you are soul, you are real to me. Some might say my love devours you whole, some might say that life is my love.."

I read an interview with him about this album, and he said that this is the one album where he went into it not caring if it fits with what's popular now, or what people's opinions would be. He just went in and did his thing. And it's a good thing he did. If only more musicians nowadays would apply that same principle, and just dove in their work not caring what is popular, or what sells the fastest albums, we'd have better quality music out there. I have a lot of respect for Billy Corgan doing his album this way, and other artists out there who aren't putting out musical garbage, but who stimulate our minds...

No comments: