Billy Ocean - Here You Are: The Music of My Life


Any person who was able to live through the 80's must be familiar with the legend known as Billy Ocean. I'm very aware that I just used the word 'legend'. And that is one word I don't throw around lightly. If you go back and listen to his catalog of songs that spanned over decades, you'll know why I referred to Billy as a legend. His voice is golden, and as a person, he is genuinely nice. I say that, because I had the chance to meet him after one of his performances this year. To me, the guy is a pure class act. And his music is timeless.

During his performance, he mentioned the latest album that he released called Here You Are: The Music of My Life. That peaked my interest and I knew that I had to give this one a listen.

This album is a bit of a mixed bag. Part of it acts as a "greatest hits", and the rest of the album are covers of well known songs that influenced Billy throughout his life. Being the classy guy he is, Billy treated these classic tracks with respect, all the while adding his own personal touch to each one. Take "No Woman No Cry" for example. Billy's version is a smooth, soulful take on this Bob Marley classic. He really nailed this particular track. Another standout is Billy's cover of Frank Sinatra's "It Was a Very Good Year". Doing a cover of any Sinatra song is pretty bold, but Billy really held his own on this one. The other songs are a real joy to listen to for any fan of Billy's, or anyone that just wants to hear a modern take on classic hits.

Overall, this album was a very satisfying listen. As a big fan of Billy's, I was so glad to hear some new material. And I hope to hear more to come from him in the years ahead!

No comments: