The Grandeur That Was Rome












Monarch
“The Grandeur That Was Rome”

Monarch is a band that you might not be familiar with. The lead singer Brennan Strawn, is the guitar player for Kevin Max’s band. So if you know K-Max, then you probably know Brennan. Monarch’s album "The Grandeur That Was Rome" was put out in 2004, and I haven’t heard about it until recently (which is why I’m covering it now). After listening to the album, I can say it’s not what I expected. For some reason, I expected a heavier rock sound. It actually leans more on the emo/experimental side. I hate to classify it as that, because I’m not an emo fan at all, but that’s the best way I can describe it. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad album. In fact it’s quite good for an indie release. Dark piano ballads and melodies that are influenced from various UK bands are throughout the album. So if that’s your style, you might appreciate this. Recent news says they are working on a new album. Before that one is released, do yourself a favor and check out this one.

1 comment:

AMica paIge said...

i really like the piano sequence in some of the songs in this album. they surely have something to show for. i'm not sure about the melancholy vibe, though. i hope they offer more punch in the next one. by the way, i'm waiting for mika's and lilly allen's. what's with the delay? need more caffeine to keep you at night?