Lost Boys: The Tribe












Lost Boys: The Tribe

“One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."

It was that very line that ended the immortal vampire movie The Lost Boys. For over 20 years that was the closure we got, and no one dared to make a sequel, until now. For me, nothing could compare to the original film. It was cool, scary and funny all wrapped together. It was definitely one of the most influential films of my childhood. I always wondered, “What if they made a sequel?” I’m sure many others echoed that same question too. After all, we never did get to see what happened to Sam, Michael, and the Frog brothers. Now in 2008, we finally have a sequel. When I first heard about it I was excited and skeptical at the same time. As excited as I was, I had to lower my expectations so I wouldn’t get let down. Then when I heard it was going to be a direct to DVD release, I lowered my expectations even more. Not that there's anything wrong with direct to DVD films. Some of the best indie films I've seen were DVD releases only. But seeing how sequels (especially horror) have ruined movie franchises in the past taught me to not expect much from them. So, Lost Boys: The Tribe is the long awaited sequel that fans have been waiting for. Corey Feldman returns in this one as a much older Edgar Frog. If you remember the first, you’d remember that Edgar had a brother. His brother is nowhere to be found here, until you watch the alternate endings. The same goes for Sam (Corey Haim). If you’re looking for these two, pay close attention to a hidden scene during the end credits, as well as the alternate endings on the DVD. Although the alternate endings added a nice twist, I wish they would have included more scenes with these characters in the actual film. Lost Boys: The Tribe is not a very original vampire story. It’s heavy on the sex and gore, but lacks the depth in the story that made the first one so damn good. However, if you watch it remembering that it’s a low budget direct to DVD release, its ok for a few laughs and thrills.

No comments: