Hell Ride (DVD)












Mr. Tarantino, why do you do this to us? You put your name on a film, leading us on to think it’s another one of your films, but in reality it's not a "real" Tarantino film. Sure it says your name on it, but it only says “Quentin Tarantino presents”...

I was looking forward to watching Hell Ride. Just released on DVD, this film follows a tough group of bikers seeking to avenge the death of a loved one by the hands of a sadistic, rival motorcycle gang. Hearing Tarantino’s name included in it had me expecting the next Grindhouse. I watched it with no expectation other than it being another cheesy, over-the-top action film. Even with my expectations low, I was still let down. To sum it up, Hell Ride felt like it was trying real hard to be the next Grindhouse film. Instead, a lot of parts really dragged on only to leave you disappointed. I expected some explosive biker chases, gun fights, etc. But instead there was a lot of tough guy dialogue and random shoot-outs that led to a dead-end. Even the guest appearances of people like Dennis Hopper and David Carradine didn’t help. The only character I enjoyed was Michael Madsen as “The Gent”. His portrayal of the badass biker who wears a suit was one of the high points of the film. I usually enjoy Quentin Tarantino’s style. I just wish that if he puts his name on a film, he actually has a strong influence in the making of it.

No comments: