The Duchess (DVD)











I usually don't fare well with period dramas (especially ones about British families). The best thing I get out of watching them is that they can put me to sleep in an instant. Maybe it’s just me, but most of them bore me to death. Having said all that, I wasn’t too sure what to expect with Keira Knightley’s film The Duchess. After being surprised with her film Atonement which I wound up liking a lot, I decided to give this one a shot. Well, guess what? I was surprised again. For starters, The Duchess isn’t a bore. Yes, it’s a drama about a young noblewoman named Georgiana Spencer (Keira Knightley) who marries into one of Britain’s most powerful families. But don’t let that fool you. There are so many scandals, flamboyant characters, and outlandish costumes in the film that it’s hard to get bored. Take for instance the role of William Cavendish (Ralph Fiennes). Fiennes plays the role of the dreadful Cavendish so well that you almost loathe him as much as his role as Voldemort in Harry Potter. This guy is a first-class asshole! Cavendish has a problem keeping his pants on as he constantly betrays Georgiana, even sleeping with AND inviting her friend to live in their house! It’s no wonder why Georgiana eventually seeks love on her own terms. The Duchess is out now on DVD and if you haven’t seen it yet, now is your chance.

No comments: