Sufjan for President


Wanna hear an album that you can't put in a specific genre? Check out Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois" CD. Is it alternative? Is it folk? Is it rock? No matter what style you are into, you should find something you like on here. The style is real eclectic, which I really appreciate as a break from every copycat musician that's out there.

While listening to the album, I heard songs that had me feeling like I was floating in the clouds, in a coffee shop, at a Broadway musical, or fishing by a river. His vocals on the songs are laid back, which work well with the funky background music. With tracks that have titles like "Concerning The UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois" or "The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us!", you can't help but be curious about this guy.

It's a great album that pays homage to the state of Illinois. Keep your eye on Sufjan. He's embarking on a project to make an album for each of the 50 U.S. States! I'm hoping New Jersey comes soon.

5 comments:

Redmaryjane said...

I can't believe that I passed this cd off last year...I can't find it at the Tower Records near my place :(

Thank God for Sufjan.

Anonymous said...

I want soofjan...I want soofjan!!!

Johnny boy

Joe Johnson said...

New Jersey next? What! I'm going to begin compiling a list of reasons that Washington must happen.

The companion to Illinois is coming soon. Pitchfork actually has released an early cut: "Dear Mr. Supercomputer" as an mp3.

link

AMica paIge said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AMica paIge said...

that explains why i couldn't get a response from you. you've been possessed by that cd again. however, since it's not another girl i'm in competition with, i'll let this one pass. until when my delayed reaction creeps in again at least. later. we'll talk more. keep awake, k?!? keep it up with this site. i enjoy it. it's incredible really. no sarcasm.--piggy