Bono: In Conversation With Michka Assayas

















Bono: In Conversation With Michka Assayas

There's something about Bono, that bugged me for a while. I couldn't pinpoint it. I mean, I don't hate the guy. I even wrote a post about him sometime ago. But there was something that got under my skin. I’m not even a big U2 fan. I think they’re an overrated band (gasp!). I’m not saying they suck, but I don’t think they’re as good as people make them out to be. So what would make someone like me want to read Bono: In Conversation? One word: Hype. That’s what got me to read it. You can hardly go anywhere without Bono being mentioned these days. And for some time, this book was constantly being brought up to me. I finally gave in and read it. So after reading it, I realized what bothered me about Bono. It’s not him, it’s all the damn hype about him! And learning more about what he’s like in the book, I think he’d agree with me! I had some prejudices before reading it. I imagined it to be a 300+ page book of the interviewer kissing Bono's ass, and Bono bragging about his accomplishments. I was dead wrong! It's not like that at all. The author quite frequently let Bono know where he disagreed with him on issues, which provided the opportunity for some great dialogue. I liked how Bono spoke his mind, and articulated clearly what he stood for in his art and life. He didn’t try and protect his image, and allowed us readers to see a side of him that only a close friend or family member would know about. This was a good book, whether you are a U2 fan or not.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I totally agree with what you wrote....

He seems to be a quite unassuming man at his core with a genuine heart for others and a extrememly spiritual core.

I saw them in concert in 05 in Philly and there was a time ot two that he was clearly pointing people to the cross. It was a great show.

Great post. I am a regular over at Pauls and made my way over to you! I will check out that book.

Take care.