L.A.M.B.













Gwen Stefani
"Love Angel Music Baby"

This is an older one, but I was curious to hear it after I covered Gwen’s most recent album, The Sweet Escape. I heard the popular songs on the radio when it came out, but never got to hear the whole thing. L.A.M.B. is her first try at making it solo. I have to say this album grows on you after a few listens. On it, she brings 80's, hip-hop, and asian influences. "What You Waiting For?" starts off the album where Gwen deals with insecurities about stepping out to make it on her own. After going back and forth in the verses, she shouts in the chorus, “What you waiting for?” "Rich Girl" is a cover of the early 90’s reggae song by Louchie Lou and Michie One. I remember listening to the original around 1993 and I never imagined that a white girl from southern Cali would ever touch it. But she pulls it off well. "Hollaback Girl" is a catchy track, complete with stomping sound effects and tough girl lyrics. And "Cool" works like a nice 80’s slow jam. I know some people are pissed that Gwen stepped away from No Doubt. Among all the criticism, I don't see anything wrong with experimenting with different styles. This album is a little chaotic with all of the directions it takes you, but it’s a good kind of chaos.

"This shit is bananas, B.A.N.A.N.A.S!"

No comments: