MuteMath at Gramercy Theatre (3/13/07)












So I went and saw MuteMath last night. After seeing them for a second time, the verdict is in... they fucking rocked. The last time I saw them was in November at BB Kings in Times Square. Last night, the show was at Gramercy Theatre on 23rd street. I was blown away. This time, they turned up the energy level a little more. And it seemed that the sound was louder at Gramercy Theatre than at BB Kings. They opened the show with the "Collapse" intro, getting the crowd pumped up before exploding into the song "Typical". From then on, it was an hour of mayhem that inluded a keytar, great songs, lots of jumping around, and Darren's drumsticks flying in the crowd after relentlessly pounding on the drums. This was an outstanding show by a band that never ceases to amaze me. Bravo guys. Looking forward to your next visit to the Big Apple.

Funny but true. I stepped away while one of the opening bands was playing so I could use the bathroom. As I walked into the men's restroom, I see none other than Darren King, MuteMath's drummer, washing his hands at the sink. We chatted for a minute as I washed my hands. After rinsing, I couldn't find any paper towels in the dispenser. So Darren being the nice guy, sees some extra ones and says, "Here ya go", and hands me a few. I then shook the hand of the guy who would later on pound the living hell out of his drums onstage. Awesome.

No comments: