About that infamous comment...
















"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. ... We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first-rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."
-John Lennon

And so the Holy War began against John Lennon and the Beatles. I'm too young to have been around then, but I think it would have been funny to see all the religious folks get all uptight and fired up.

Maybe to stick it to them I would have said: "Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend. We can work it out."

But seriously, I was just listening to the Beatles and I remembered that statement by John. I think people totally missed the point of what he was saying. Check out the last part of his statement again.

"Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

To that I say, "Yeah John!"

Any haters out there, you may now fire away at me...

"Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me."

3 comments:

Danny said...

but seriously what did christians expect to hear from an atheist really? none of his statements should have shocked anyone. I love john lennon, he had a lot of things right, some things i wish people would remember nowadays.

"All we are saying, is give peace a chance."

Casey said...

even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

I agree with Danny - what did people expect? And in all honesty I think John was kinda right. Pop culture is way more appealing to the masses than Jesus.

Regarding the disciples though, did Jesus really have a choice? No. He still doesn't. Thick ordinary human screw ups is pretty much all he's got to work with. Otherwise he wouldn't have needed to come down here in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, tend to feel a lot of Christians misunderstood what John was saying as an attack. But face it, at the time, in U.S. and Britain...two places that were steeped in the Christian faith... the Beatles *were* bigger. It was a simple observation at the time.