Light Grenades












Incubus
"Light Grenades"

There's a couple of reasons why I really like Incubus. One would be Brandon Boyd's voice, and how it can adapt to all the different types of songs they play, whether it's slow or hard. Another reason would be how they aren't afraid to experiment with different sounds on each album. Another reason would be their lyrics are usually thought provoking and edgy, and they deal with a lot of life issues. Well, their new album Light Grenades keeps up their track record of putting out breakthrough songs. I really enjoyed listening to this one. The songs are catchy, and they range from mellow to real intense. One thing I like is way they brought in a middle eastern flavor to the track Anna Molly. They were able to blend it in with their rock sound really well. Another thing that really stands out to me on this album is the lyrical content. I've always appreciated their honesty in songwriting, but this one has a lot of depth to it. Here are some lines engrained in my mind after listening.

From the song "Anna Molly",

'A cloud hangs over
And mutes my happiness
A thousand ships come and sail me
Back from distress
Wish you here
I'm a wounded satellite
I need you now
Put me back together
Make me right'


From "Love Hurts",

'Love hurts
Sometimes it's a good hurt
And it feels like I'm alive
Love sings
When it transcends to memories
I want to chime in
'Cause without love I won't survive'


and from "Dig",

'We all have a weakness
But some of ours are easier to identify.
Look me in the eye
And ask for forgiveness;
We'll make a pact to never speak that word again
Yes you are my friend.
We all have something that digs at us,
At least we dig each other'


This is a solid effort by a band who's still putting out hits through these changing times.

No comments: