Bright Lights, Big City 20th Anniversary Edition DVD












Bright Lights, Big City 20th Anniversary Edition

I remember I was about 11 years old when this came out. I was already a fan of Michael J. Fox's films after seeing Back To The Future, Teen Wolf, and Secret of My Success. After watching the previews for Bright Lights, Big City, something felt different about it. To my surprise, I found out he was playing a cokehead in it! I couldn’t believe it. The same guy who played Alex from Family Ties and Marty McFly from Back To The Future was playing a junkie (when you’re 11 years old, news like that shocks you). I recently checked this film out after hearing about its 20th Anniversary DVD being released. This movie is just as relevant in 2008 as it was 20 years ago. Fox’s performance of Jamie Conway shows a realistic picture of someone’s life spinning out of control. The perception of Fox always playing “wholesome characters” is quickly shed after seeing him hooked on coke and alcohol in the film. The scene where he gives a drunken monologue to his co-worker is classic. Another thing worth mentioning is Kiefer Sutherland's role as Jamie's friend named Tad. He was convincing in his performance of Tad, who is a real asshole in the film. Overall, it’s a sobering movie that shows the reality of living a life dependent on drugs. It’ll make you sad, but as you get to the end you’ll see there is light at the end of the tunnel for Jamie.

No comments: