Slumdog Millionaire (DVD)











Danny Boyle is the man. After films like 28 Days Later and Sunshine, he has proved once again he’s a genius with Slumdog Millionaire. Rather then turn this into an ass-kissing essay on how great Danny Boyle is, let’s talk about Slumdog. This film is a celebration of life despite an extreme form of hopelessness that is rampant throughout third-world countries. It starts out with the main character Jamal Malik on the Indian version of “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?” Jamal is a young guy who grew up in the slums of India. Each question he’s asked on the show somehow ties in to a specific event in his life that helps him come up with an answer. From seeing his mom killed to sleeping in piles of garbage to watching his older brother become a thug, Malik’s life is played out in the film showing that there is hope even in the darkest times. I honestly thought the film was all hype before I even saw it. I have this thing inside me that cringes whenever people glorify a movie too much. I can honestly say that Slumdog Millionaire is NOT all hype. It’s a film that can make you happy, angry, disturbed, and hopeful all at once. It’s rare that a film can come along and affect you in such a powerful way as this one does. Now that it’s out on DVD, I’m sure I’ll be watching it again and again.

No comments: