MUTEMATH - LIVE AT NOKIA THEATER NYC








I saw MUTEMATH in concert this weekend. This marks the 4th time that I’ve seen them in NYC, and so far I’ve never been disappointed. The last 3 venues I saw them play were B.B. Kings, Gramercy Theater, and Irving Plaza. This time was different as they played right in the heart of Times Square at the Nokia Theater. I was reminded how far this quartet from New Orleans has made it when on my way to find parking, I saw their video for Typical played on the big screen outside the theater. This show was part of their “Armistice Fall Tour”, so I already expected to not hear the soaring intro that they’ve always done to start off their shows before exploding into Typical. This time, the band wasted no time when they took the stage as the floor started rumbling to the thunderous track The Nerve. With the crowd singing “Set it on fire!” along with Paul Meany, it was a great way to bring in their new material in a live setting. I admit when I first heard the Armistice album, I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be. However, it grew on me after time and I enjoyed it each time I played it. Hearing them played live was a different experience. If you thought hearing songs like Backfire, Clipping, and Armistice were great, wait until you hear them in concert! The execution of each track was flawless, giving me a new appreciation for their latest album. Of course, it wouldn’t be a real MuteMath show without hearing songs like Control, Chaos, Typical, and Break The Same (which they all played). However one of the best surprises of the night came when they played a song that only the most loyal MuteMath fans would recognize: Peculiar People! I was real happy to see them play that song, as it is the second song I heard from them back in 2005, after hearing Control. Overall, MuteMath put on a hell of a performance, giving these Tri-State fans exactly what they came to see: a loud, energetic, and unforgettable performance. If you never saw this band live, I highly recommend doing so the next time they come around.

No comments: