The Simpsons Movie














After starting out as a huge Simpson’s fan in the early 90’s, I eventually gave up following the show around 1994. Nothing against it, just different changes in life provided less time for me to keep up with TV. Fast forward to 2008 where we now have The Simpsons Movie on DVD. I must say, after watching it I realized what I've been missing all this time. I remembered what it was about this show that had me hooked, even as far back as their guest appearances on Fox's Tracy Ullman Show. I had a good time laughing my ass off watching this film poke fun of everyone from Arnold Schwarzenegger, to fundamentalist Christians, and extreme environmentalists. Chances are you might even find something about yourself to laugh about in this film. So what’s different between the movie and the regular show on TV? Nothing really, except for the fact that there’s more they can get away with on the film than on regular TV. Things like Homer and Marge about to get it on in the bedroom, or Bart’s infamous nude skateboarding scene. Other than that, this is about 90 minutes worth of the brilliant comedy that made the show famous.

And before anyone gets a chance to bash it, saying it's only an extended TV episode, the writers already beat you to the punch. In the intro to the film, Homer, while watching Itchy and Scratchy in the theater says, "I can't believe we're paying to see something we can see on TV for free! If you ask me, everyone in this theater is a big sucker!"

Oh! I can't forget to mention the debut of Spider-pig (AKA Harry Plopper), whose presence adds more laughs to this already hilarious film.

No comments: