Adventureland (DVD)











If you’re into 80’s nostalgia, then Adventureland is a film that hits the spot. It’s got an awesome soundtrack with some of the 80’s best songs playing throughout (including what seems like an endless repeat of Rock Me Amadeus). But that’s not what makes this a good film. It’s a true “coming of age” story that most of us can probably relate to. What’s interesting about this movie is that it’s promoted as being a hilarious film. Now don’t get me wrong, it has its moments. Seeing the main character James (Jesse Eisenberg) constantly getting punched in the nuts by his friend was funny, yet I felt bad for the guy. You want to jump through the screen and shake this guy up. Ironically, the guy who gets punched in the balls is the very same guy who needs to grab life by the balls (and slowly he learns). Overall, I found Adventureland to be more dramatic than funny and truly enjoyable. It’s a smart film that grew on me after watching, and is one that I know I’ll be watching some more to really let it sink in.

No comments: