Transformers Soundtrack












Most movie soundtracks serve as a "best of" compilation for whatever music is out at the time the film's released. So most of the time, you get to hear various hits put out by a range of artists. On the Transformers soundtrack, the bands range from Linkin Park to Goo Goo Dolls to Smashing Pumpkins to MuteMath. Wait, MuteMath? Yep, I was just as surprised when I heard they were doing the Transformers theme song. (Confession: I only got interested in hearing the soundtrack after hearing they were on it.) Anyone who's been coming to this site for a while already knows what I think about MuteMath being one of the best bands around. Well, they did an awesome job putting their magic touch on the theme song alot of us who grew up on the cartoon heard. Note: If the producer of any other 80's cartoon being brought to the big screen (i.e. Thundercats, etc...) is reading this, it will benefit you to recruit MuteMath to play the theme song. The Goo Goo Dolls song "Before It's Too Late" grew on me after a few listens, especially when I really tuned in to the lyrics. There's some profound lyrics in there about life, especially when it says...

"And the risk that might break you
Is the one that would save
A life you dont live is still lost
So stand on the edge with me
Hold back your fear and see
Nothing is real til it's gone

Hold on before its too late
Until we leave this behind
Don't fall just be who you are
It's all that we need in our lives"


The song "What I've Done" by Linkin Park is another one that grew on me. If you've seen the movie, it comes on when the credits roll and it's also on their latest album Minutes to Midnight. Actually it's not a bad song, considering they're trying to keep their heads above water amongst the onslaught of 80's influenced bands out there. And I think there's no explanation needed for the song "Doomsday Clock" by the Smashing Pumpkins, especially if you've read my recent post on Zeitgeist. Overall, it's a good soundtrack that fits the emotion and spirit of the movie.

No comments: