Zeitgeist














Smashing Pumpkins
Zeitgeist

Ever since I heard the news that the Smashing Pumpkins were releasing a new album, I waited with the same anticipation that a child waits for Christmas Eve. Over the past couple months, I made sure I didn't set any expectations for this album. You see, I have been let down many times by different artists' music usually because of some high expectation I set for it. So this time, any judgement I made would only be done after hearing it myself. Then came the teaser when the song "Tarantula" was released on the radio, and I got even more anxious for the release. So finally, the day came when I had my copy of Zeitgeist in hand. So now that I got to hear the album, I can honestly say it was worth the wait. A true artist is one who lives and breathes creativity into everything they do. As a musician, Billy Corgan always had my respect as someone who does exactly that. He seems to have a midas touch when it comes to music. And on this album, he brings back some of the things we loved about SP, and also threw in some new twists. Yes, the Pumpkins haven't put an album out in 7 years or so, but with the release of Zeitgeist, it shows that they never lost their touch. I'm sure there are those that would disagree with me. But, it is what it is. If you like it, then awesome, if you don’t, well deal with it. I see this as (hopefully) a new chapter in the Pumpkins' career that will continue on for a few more years. It’s obvious in the songs that Billy Corgan has a different outlook in life. And just as his music in the 90’s provided a place for those letting out their angst, Zeitgeist symbolizes that there’s hope for the future.

No comments: