The Air I Breathe (DVD)











Watching Brendan Fraser playing a thug is like wearing an uncomfortable pair of jeans. At first it feels too tight, but eventually you break them in. That's how it felt when I first started watching The Air I Breathe. I wasn't used to seeing him in a role like this, but his character grew on me. The character he played has a special gift for seeing events happening in the future (kind of like Nic Cage in Next). It's hard to hate his character, as he is a thug with a heart. Along with him, this film has an all-star cast that includes Forest Whitaker, Andy Garcia, Kevin Bacon, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Emile Hirsch. Among all of them, my favorite character was Forest Whitaker's. His performance was extremely believable as a guy who is fed up with his dull life. He has some of the best lines throughout the film, including a memorable narration during the intro. Even though he didn't get as many scenes as some other characters, he was essential in setting off this dramatic story of four different people linked together by destiny. This movie dealt with a lot of issues about life and the choices we make. Like any film, you can nitpick and find things to criticize about it, but the overall story with its many twists and turns outweighs the negatives.

The Air I Breathe is out now on DVD, and I recommend it for the subtle way it reminds you to wake up and start living.

No comments: