Revolutionary Road (DVD)











I’ve been waiting to see this film for a while. Once I saw the previews when it was in the theaters, I knew this is one that I couldn’t miss. Revolutionary Road reunites Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet for the first time since Titanic. Here they play The Wheelers, a married couple in the 1950’s that can’t keep their relationship alive. Let me say up front, this film is a tragedy. If you want to see how NOT to have a married relationship, then this is it. This movie gives you a front row look at a family that looks good on the outside, but has some seriously dark secrets. It makes a very powerful statement about relationships and casts a reflection on our society that some of us would be wise to look at. I disagree with anyone that says this film is a waste of time. In fact, I think anyone thinking of getting married or already married can learn something from watching it. Leo and Kate play this troubled couple so well I honestly think they were Oscar-worthy. There is nothing sugarcoated here, and to be honest it is hard to see their marriage go downhill. But sometimes the truth hurts. I do disagree with the line at the bottom of the DVD case that says it’s a “watch-it-three-times-in-a-row masterpiece”. I agree that it’s a masterpiece, but I don’t think it’s one you’d want to see for a little while. Truthfully, after the first time watching I felt disturbed. It’s hard to see a family’s hopes and dreams turn to shit, even on film. However it is one that I’ll be going back to from time to time to see exactly how I don’t want my own life to turn out. Overall, Sam Mendes adds another powerful film to his resume with Revolutionary Road.

No comments: