I'm Not There (DVD)












I was never a fan of Bob Dylan's music. I grew up during the 80's and 90's, so I was way past his era. The cynical side of me thought that the people around me who claimed to be Dylan fans, were just doing it because it seemed trendy. Being open to different forms of creativity, I gave his music a try. I still couldn't get into it even after listening. Mind you, I did think that he was great at poetic expressions, which carried over into him becoming a huge cultural icon. And I respected the way he inspired people through creativity, even if I didn't like his music. Well, my respect for his work went up a bit after seeing a little film called I'm Not There. This isn't any ordinary film though. It's about Bob Dylan, only he's played by 6 different people! This cast of six actors each playing Dylan includes Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger (R.I.P.), Ben Whishaw, and Marcus Carl Franklin. I just watched the DVD this weekend and I thought the movie was fascinating. The idea to have multiple actors each playing a different side of one character was genius. And of course, the acting was awesome. The standout performance though (if you haven't already heard) is Cate Blanchett's. I remember rolling my eyes when people were raving about it. It wasn't until I saw the DVD the other night that I understood all the attention she got for this role. You almost think you're watching Dylan himself! This surprisingly turned out to be one of the most unique films I've seen, about a very complex artist.

I'm Not There comes out on DVD May 6th.

No comments: